Monday, May 11, 2015

Review: Veronica Mars-The Thousand Dollar Tan Line (#1) and Veronica Mars-Mr.Kiss and Tell (#2) by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham


Title: The Thousand Dollar Tan-Line
Author: Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham
Publisher: Vintage Books
Date Published: March 24th, 2014
Source: Borrowed
Genres: Mystery, Crime, Adult
Links: Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes and Noble
Rating: 4 stars!



Title: Mr.Kiss and Tell
Author: Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham
Publisher: Vintage Books
Date Published: January 20th, 2015
Source: Borrowed
Genres: Mystery, Crime, Adult
Links: Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes and Noble
Rating: 3.9 stars!



“Not that I like having my direst preconceptions about humanity confirmed or anything. But I was right.” 

-Veronica Mars, Mr. Kiss and Tell



My Review


Let's be real here. I read these two books in like a three day period proceeded by three seasons and movie, so everything might be a little all over the place in this whirlwind.

I have not felt this alive in a long time, honey! Wow, so there are going to be a lot of spoilers for the TV show/movie, because the first book takes place a couple months after the movie's ending, but chances are if you're interested in reading these two, you're a fan of the series. Just in case you haven't watched it yet however, there's your warning!

I'm going to start this off with a little recap of my experience watching the series, because OH MY GOD and I didn't get much sleep that week. I've known about this series for a while and everyone loves it, but I didn't really get a chance to watch it until now. Once I started though, I.Could.Not.Stop. Holy.Crap. Veronica is so awesome and amazing and I love her!!! What really threw me off though, I have been waiting so long to vent to someone it hurts, was what happened in Season 1 Episode 18. THAT.KISS. IT HIT ME OUT OF NOWHERE. I never never never would've guessed that V & L would get together! It really threw me, because I'm almost always right about who ends up with who!

In the end, it actually turned out to be a very nice surprise. (I ship them super hard, and still can't believe I didn't see it coming.)...On to the books!

In TTDTL, Veronica's rebuilding her life in Neptune after deciding to stay and become a PI again. She's together with Logan again (*sighs* How Epic), but he's with the Navy right now and they both have to deal with catching up, after nine years of not seeing each other, through 15 minute Skype calls and emails. Meanwhile, Veronica jumps on a case involving Neptune's Spring Breakers.

I just jumped in head first and flew through this book. I loved being back in Neptune, and really seeing the gang back together. Mac, Wallace, Weevil, her father etc. It was great. I think Rob and Jen did a fantastic job in giving the fans what they wanted there. I felt sad that Logan wasn't as present in this book, but we still see them chatting and comforting each other even though they're apart, which I appreciate. Seriously, I think there would be riots if they include some V & L interactions.

The main feeling of this book is Veronica getting back into the game. It's been a while, so she's a bit rusty, but soon she's sneaking into parties, collecting evidence, tasing people aka being the Veronica we know and love. and it's realistic for her. Sometimes I actually even wish she would think a little more about her abandoned Bar Exam. I'm so happy that she's back in Neptune, but when she was that close to the high paying, impressive, safer (notice how I said safer not safe), lawyer job her father's always wanted for her....But that's not who Veronica is. She pushes forward. I loved seeing her back in the heart pounding shenanigans of her youth.

In MKAT, LOGAN'S BACK! WOO! Veronica and Logan are back together again, and things start to get serious as they have to decide how in the world their busy, dangerous, seperate lives will be able to mesh together. Also, Veronica takes on another case and continues to butt heads with the douchebag Sheriff.

This one focuses more on how people have changed over the years vs. how things are back to how they used to be. For Weevil and Logan at least. We learn how having a family has affected Weevil and how Logan has almost no trace of the partying, drunk, rich boy. Veronica doesn't know what to make of these things at times. It breaks my heart to see them so differently, because there aren't any plans for a third book and I swear if you break up them up one more time!!!

I just want to leave this with a few last thoughts. That quote up there, I feel like it summarizes Veronica's journey through the entire series over and over again. I want her to have somethings/people, at least, in her life that won't hurt her like that. *Sobs*


No comments:

Post a Comment